1Denoting a verbal action, an instance of this, or its result.
- 1.1Denoting a verbal action relating to an occupation, skill, etc.
- ‘ice skating’
2Denoting material used for or associated with a process etc.‘cladding’‘piping’
- 2.1Denoting something involved in an action or process but with no corresponding verb.‘sacking’
- 2.1Denoting something involved in an action or process but with no corresponding verb.
3Forming the gerund of verbs (such as painting as in I love painting).
Old English -ung, -ing, of Germanic origin.
1Forming the present participle of verbs.‘doing’‘calling’
- 1.1Forming present participles used as adjectives.‘charming’
- 1.1Forming present participles used as adjectives.
2Forming adjectives from nouns.‘hulking’
Middle English alteration of earlier -ende, later -inde.
(used especially in names of coins and fractional parts) a thing belonging to or having the quality of.‘farthing’‘riding’
Old English, of Germanic origin.