Meaning of Grexit in English:


Pronunciation /ˈɡrɛksɪt/


  • A term for the potential withdrawal of Greece from the eurozone (the economic region formed by those countries in the European Union that use the euro as their national currency)

    ‘renewed fears of a Grexit have been shaking the financial markets’
    • ‘some are willing to bet that the eurozone could withstand the shock of Grexit’
    • ‘We see the probability of a Grexit at only 20% and the probability that the Euro-area stays together in its current form at 80%.’
    • ‘Much harder to tabulate is the longer-term domino effect a Grexit could have.’
    • ‘All of which says to me that Grexit is inevitable, sooner or later.’
    • ‘But just because Grexit happens, doesn't mean it will necessarily affect the US election.’
    • ‘The eurozone's leaders realise that although in isolation, a Grexit does not threaten the single currency, its reverberations do.’
    • ‘Grexit would present many unknowns because the euro zone was never designed to be undone.’
    • ‘When contemplating the Grexit scenario, the monetary watchdogs have also considered the possibility that after Greece, Cyprus could also be forced to leave the euro zone.’
    • ‘The feeling is that a Grexit won't wreak the same sort of damage on the eurozone as it would have three years ago when European banks and financial markets were weaker.’
    • ‘Both sides would lose control and respect with a Grexit.’
    • ‘He was blunt about the risks that a disorderly Grexit would pose to the global economy.’


2012 blend of Greek (or Greece) and exit.