1 informal, derogatory A German.
2(also kraut)US informal mass noun Sauerkraut.
- ‘The common threads here seem to be cabbage and the process of fermentation, both key elements in kimchee and kraut.’
- ‘Lana had only said no onions or chili; she hadn't said a thing about kraut.’
- ‘This year we'll do 175,000 tons of sauerkraut, which is a lot of kraut.’
- ‘The crêpe stuffed with kraut was decent, said he, but nothing like his mama's.’
- ‘He was picking up some sausage and kraut for his mom.’
- ‘This was a nice bed of hot kraut with beefy pig chunks and a nice greasy slab of bacon with the herbs and mustard - good autumnal beer food, refined but not over-refined.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips