1A town in northern Mali; population 35,600 (est. 2009). It was formerly a major trading centre for gold and salt on the trans-Saharan trade routes, reaching the height of its prosperity in the 16th century but falling into decline after its capture by the Moroccans in 1591.French name Tombouctou
- 1.1Used in reference to a remote or extremely distant place.‘from here to Timbuktu’
- ‘Her already far away eyes began to beat a swift path for Timbuktu.’
- ‘If someone tells you they're going from here to Timbuktu you probably think they're on the road to nowhere.’
- ‘You would hear the screams from here to Timbuktu.’
- ‘Also, since you're not moving to Timbuktu or anything, you can always visit your old stomping grounds.’
- ‘They say that if you don't shut-up and listen they'll send you to Timbuktu.’
- 1.1Used in reference to a remote or extremely distant place.