Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(of growth or development) upwards from the base or point of attachment.
- ‘These features might be partly associated with the acropetal development of the terminal inflorescence.’
- ‘The Alismataceae have acropetal leaf development.’
- ‘Sepal initiation began on the basal lateral flower and continued in an acropetal direction until all floral meristems had completed sepal initiation.’
- ‘Similarly, meristem activities in the same acropetal sequence or on the whole-root-system architecture have not yet been compared.’
- ‘On average, an inflorescence developed 166 • 21 53 • 31 flowers that opened in acropetal order.’
- 1.1(of the movement of dissolved substances) outwards towards the shoot and root apices.
- ‘In every case, the basipetal movement was greater than the acropetal movement.’
- ‘It is not clear whether this acropetal increase of flower meristem identity is related to the acropetal loss of the SD suppression.’
- ‘Xylem flow carries the transpiration stream and is normally entirely acropetal.’
Late 19th century from Greek akron ‘tip’ + Latin petere ‘seek’ + -al.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips