A disease affecting motor neurons of the spinal cord, which causes progressive weakness and atrophy of muscles.Also called Lou Gehrig's disease‘the rock guitarist was stricken by ALS more than 20 years ago’
- ‘Some cases where gene therapy has been successful are in the breakthrough with the disease Amytrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).’
- ‘He choreographed (most often for Maryland Youth Ballet and his own Eric Hampton Dance) before being diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).’
- ‘He was in the advanced stages of ALS.’
- ‘"Her painting will help draw attention to the amazing abilities of artists with ALS and other neuromuscular disorders."’
- ‘The scene becomes even more distressing when we recall how ALS eventually works its way up the body, making simple things like hand gestures and speaking impossible.’
Abbreviation of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips