nounderogatory North American
A lawyer who specializes in bringing cases seeking damages for personal injury.
- ‘Can he be characterized as a greedy ambulance-chaser who is single-handedly responsible for runaway lawsuits?’
- ‘Just to show we are not the cold-hearted, ambulance-chasers of popular myth we have brought you some good news this week.’
- ‘So I have been somewhat irked to find myself being bedeviled with calls from so-called endowment ambulance-chasers.’
- ‘Plus it would also put those disgusting ambulance-chasers in their place.’
- ‘Some of them are just a bunch of ambulance-chasers and a total waste of space.’
Late 19th century from the reputation gained by certain lawyers for attending accidents and encouraging victims to sue.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips