Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1The action of striking repeatedly with hard blows.‘the south of England will take the heaviest battering’
- ‘a southerly gale gave the ship another battering’
- 1.1The action of subjecting one's spouse, partner, or child to repeated violence.
- ‘outrage at wife battering and child abuse’
- 1.2count noun A severe criticism, reprimand, or defeat.‘worldwide stock markets have taken a battering’
- ‘the film took a battering from critics’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips