Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1A dive in which a person hits the water flat on their stomach or abdomen.
failure, disaster, debacle, catastrophe, loser
- ‘He teetered, lost his balance and fell off, making a tremendous splash as he hit the water with an inelegant bellyflop and an angry shout.’
- ‘I watched as Damian fell off his board for the umpteenth time, laughing along with Shawdi at his spectacular bellyflop.’
- ‘The sight so startled him that he finally lost control, doing a painful bellyflop that threw up a cascade of water.’
- ‘Or they make up their own dives on the spot, sometimes while in midair -- improvisation that frequently leads to the kind of painful bellyflop that causes spectators to groan with a combination of sympathy and mirth’
- ‘Alex is going in feet-first, Paddington is doing a bomb, and Felicity looks like she's about to do the most painful bellyflop ever.’
- 1.1A complete failure.
- ‘the film's belly flop at the box office is unsurprising’
verbbelly-flops, belly-flopping, belly-floppedinformal no object
1Perform a belly flop.
be unsuccessful, fail, not work, fall flat, founder, misfire, backfire, be a disappointment, do badly, lose money, be a disaster, meet with disaster, come to grief, miss the mark, run aground
- ‘he belly-flopped into the water’
- ‘The two men bellyflop each other for a bit until Haystacks falls through the ropes on to a nice ringside flower arrangement and is counted out. ‘Easy!’
- ‘She bellyflopped flat down onto the pavement.’
- ‘Suddenly, without warning, she bellyflopped, unceremoniously, into the wooden planter.’
- ‘She bellyflopped onto her bed and opened her purple laptop.’
- ‘Taking a running start, we bellyflopped onto the sled and went down head first, hopefully catching a few dips and flying over them, becoming temporarily airborne.’
- 1.1(of an aircraft) perform an emergency landing without lowering the undercarriage.
- ‘the plane belly-flopped in a cornfield’
- ‘As the plane approached the water, the right wing dramatically dropped but this appeared to be mostly corrected when it looked like the airliner stalled and literally bellyflopped into the water with a huge splash.’
- ‘Ditching was a procedure wherein the disabled aircraft bellyflopped on the ocean surface.’
- 1.2Be completely unsuccessful.
- ‘the IPO belly-flopped spectacularly’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips