1Find a way around (an obstacle)
- ‘if you come to an obstruction in a road you can seek to circumvent it’
- 1.1Overcome (a problem or difficulty), typically in a clever and surreptitious way.‘I found it quite easy to circumvent security’
- ‘it was always possible to circumvent the regulations’
- 1.2archaic Deceive; outwit.
- ‘he's circumvented her with some of his stories’
Late Middle English from Latin circumvent- ‘skirted around’, from the verb circumvenire, from circum ‘around’ + venire ‘come’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips