A fried or grilled cheese and ham sandwich topped with a poached or fried egg.‘I had the croque-madame with pommes frites’
- ‘My friend had a croque-madame which was also very good, the egg fried to perfection!’
- ‘The salami sandwich and the croque-madame were delicious but the eggplant appetizer was disappointing.’
- ‘I would instead recommend visiting their sister eatery if you are looking for croque-madames or crepes.’
- ‘The kitchen serves an international menu of comfort foods like croque-madames, deviled egg platters, and the occasional paella.’
- ‘They were out of some of the pasta dishes, but the croque-madame more than made up for it!’
French, literally ‘bite (a) woman’, probably on the pattern of croque-monsieur.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips