Relating to or denoting plants of the cabbage family (Cruciferae ).
- ‘Broccoli, along with cauliflower and cabbage, belongs to the family of plants known as cruciferous vegetables, which are rich with antioxidants.’
- ‘DNA sequence variations of chalcone synthase and Apetala3 gene promoters from 22 cruciferous plant species were analyzed to identify putative conserved regulatory elements.’
- ‘On the world scene, diamondback moth is ranked as the major insect pest of a large number of commercially grown cruciferous plants, including canola.’
- ‘This unique endemic cruciferous species from the subantarctic zone is subjected to strong environmental constraints and shows high polyamine contents.’
- ‘A cousin of broccoli, Brussels sprouts and kale - all members of the cruciferous vegetable family - mustard greens are usually served as a side dish, similar to spinach, and they can be steamed, sautéed or simmered.’
Mid 19th century from modern Latin Cruciferae (plural), from Latin crux, cruc- ‘cross’ + -fer ‘bearing’ (because the flowers have four equal petals arranged crosswise), + -ous.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips