Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A substance that prevents the freezing of tissues, or prevents damage to cells during freezing.
- ‘Chemicals called cryoprotectants reduce ice formation but have toxic effects that introduce their own problems.’
- ‘It is currently believed that effective cryoprotectants for proteins or enzymes in solution are excluded from the immediate vicinity of these biological molecules.’
- ‘Diplolepis overwinter in a prepupal stage; they are freezing-intolerant and develop cryoprotectants that lower their supercooling points.’
- ‘This makes it possible for scientists to extract water from the embryo and replace it with a cryoprotectant like ethylene glycol, which prevents the embryo's 40,000 to 50,000 cells from being damaged by ice crystals during freezing.’
- ‘Cold hardiness includes both widespread tolerance to freezing and extreme supercooling ability, as well as unusual responses in a few species, such as lack of typical cryoprotectants.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips