Relating to or denoting cryptogams.‘Diacylglyceryltrimethylhomoserine is known to be an important component of cryptogamic plants, including bryophytes, but its physiological role is still uncertain.’
- ‘After this fact one need not be surprised at the diffusion of the far lighter and smaller sporules of cryptogamic plants.’
- ‘Today the cryptogamic herbarium consists of 7000 lichens and 1500 bryophytes and continues to grow.’
- ‘This collection reflects the full gamut of its dedicatee's research interests in cryptogamic physiology and ecology at the extremes.’
- ‘The cryptogamic organisms help to stabilize the soil, hold moisture, and provide protection for germination of the seeds of other plants.’
(of a desert soil or surface crust) covered with or consisting of a fragile black layer of cyanobacteria, mosses, and lichens, which is often important in preventing erosion.
- ‘Formation of mature cryptogamic crust (dark ridges) typically requires decades free of disturbance.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips