Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A protein of the globulin class present in the lens of the eye.
- ‘We therefore present here a novel eye lens crystallin, crystallin, found in platypus.’
- ‘The pigment disappears and the cells start to take on the structural characteristics of lens cells, and to produce the lens-specific protein crystallin.’
- ‘Irradiated and nonirradiated alpha - crystallin was subjected to trypsin digestion and peptide analysis by reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography and mass and sequence analysis.’
- ‘In particular, it has been shown in vitro that hypericin, the active ingredient of Hypericum, can bind to and, in the presence of light, cause the photopolymerization of [alpha] crystallin.’
- ‘Similarly, the enolase protein of the liver, in a different context, becomes a crystallin protein of the lens.’
Mid 19th century from Latin crystallum ‘crystal’ + -in.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips