Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A plant of the gourd family (Cucurbitaceae ), which includes melon, pumpkin, squash, and cucumber.
- ‘Plant cucurbit seeds such as pumpkin, cucumber, melons, etc.’
- ‘Powdery mildew in the cucurbit family is caused by the organism Sphaerotheca fuliginea.’
- ‘The book devotes 30 pages to cucurbits, from giant pumpkins through marrows, zucchinis and cucumbers to back-scratching loofahs.’
- ‘In Iowa, she's overseeing organic research in field corn, sweet corn, soybeans, grapes, peppers, cucurbits, and medicinal herbs, as well as multi-year, multi-crop organic systems projects.’
- ‘Greenhouse shelves are brimming, but make room for cucurbit starts (squash, melons and gourds).’
Late Middle English from Old French cucurbite, from Latin cucurbita.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips