Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
nounplural noun culchiesinformal Irish
An unsophisticated country person.
bumpkin, country bumpkin, country cousin, rustic, countryman, countrywoman, country dweller, daughter of the soil, son of the soil, peasant, provincial, oaf, lout, boor, barbarian
- ‘culchie food’
- ‘Proceeds from various events will be donated to the Arthritis Foundation of Ireland, while culchies compete for the coveted top prize of a jacket, gold cufflinks, a bag of spuds and a new pair of wellies.’
- ‘Some 22 culchies from 15 counties travelled to Lisselton to compete for one of the nation's most sought-after crowns.’
- ‘According to their newfound, city sophistication, there were pickpockets and worse on every corner just waiting for the culchies.’
- ‘It is no longer a dowdy game played by culchies; it is now cool, trendy and, of course, lucrative for businesses that are along for the ride.’
- ‘Dubliners will have to try even harder to pretend to care when listening to culchies moan about their problems.’
Apparently an alteration of Kiltimagh (IrishCoillte Mach), the name of a country town in County Mayo, Ireland.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips