Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1A paper size, 564 × 444 mm.
- ‘All books are in metric Demy format unless otherwise stated.’
- 1.1A book size, 216 × 138 mm.‘Twenty-five large paper copies (22.6 x 14 cm, demy octavo) of Ballads and Sonnets were printed on Whatman's rag paper.’
- ‘The first edition in English, of 1868, was in two volumes demy octavo, the only Murray Darwin to appear in this format, and it occurs in two issues.’
- ‘John Ruskin and the Lakeland Arts Revival 1880-1920, a sewn-section demy octavo paperback of 288 pages with a full-colour cover, will be published on 6 April 2004 at £14.95.’
- 1.2A book size, 276 × 219 mm.‘Those who consult bibliographies may need this information to identify books styled as foolscap folio, demy quarto, or with other such expressions of size and format occurring in early sources.’
- ‘In any press, the most frequently used sizes of pages are demy quarto (1.4), demy octavo (1/8), crown quarto and crown octavo.’
Late Middle English (as an adjective in the sense ‘half-sized’): from demi-, or from its source, French demi ‘half’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips