Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(of an alga or other lower plant) having a life cycle in which the main form, except for the gametes, is diploid.
- ‘Most brown algae undergo an alternation of generations life cycle, as does Ulva, but species such as Fucus reproduce via a diplontic life cycle, meaning the adult is the sporophyte and diploid.’
- ‘The diplontic life cycle is not seen in algae or plants.’
- ‘Unfortunately, current knowledge on architecture and programming of shoot meristem was not used in this explanation to support genetic results against diplontic selection.’
- ‘The chromosome changes seen in meristems 2-3 cell cycles after treatment provide a basis for diplontic selection; for the establishment of a new meristem from, perhaps, a few initial cells.’
- ‘Members of the order Fucales have a true diplontic life history.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips