Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(in a composite flower head of the daisy family) any of a number of small tubular and usually fertile florets that form the disc. In rayless plants such as the tansy the flower head is composed entirely of disc florets.
- ‘Heads on discoid plants have an extra whorl of disc florets instead of ray florets.’
- ‘Ray florets typically are quite showy whereas disk florets are smaller and, oft-times, inconspicuous.’
- ‘The stamens/style column of each disc floret is particularly long, about 5mm above the floret petals.’
- ‘Each tiny disk floret produces copious amounts of nectar and that's why gardeners love them.’
- ‘In some species, the head is entirely composed of disk florets, and is known as a discoid head.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips