A blind tube leading from a cavity or passage.
- ‘The dorsal diverticulum becomes the body and tail, and the ventral diverticulum becomes the head.’
- 1.1Medicine An abnormal sac or pouch formed at a weak point in the wall of the alimentary tract.‘A urethral diverticula is usually identified as a distal bulge under the urethra.’
- ‘Saccular diverticula of the laryngeal ventricle are often reported.’
- ‘Bacterial colonization of the airways leads to further inflammation and the formation of diverticula in the bronchial tree.’
- ‘Rectal diverticulum to side tube usually spontaneously occurs in one week.’
- ‘After neurulation, paired cavities called Hatschek's diverticula (possible pituitary homologue) form in the head endoderm.’
Early 19th century from medieval Latin, variant of Latin deverticulum ‘byway’, from devertere ‘turn down or aside’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips