Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1archaic A lover or mistress.sweetheart, loved one, love, true love, lady love, darling, dearest, dear one, lover, girlfriend, boyfriend, young lady, young man, woman friend, lady friend, man friend, beau, admirer, worshipper, inamorata, inamorato
- 1.1A prostitute.‘Do you ever see the doxies on the street, Josephine?’
- ‘The excellent, shock-haired Lenny sounds a complete prat when he tells Ruth that a dockside doxy was diseased because ‘I decided she was.’’
- ‘Still, we need to find now who did murder the doxy and ask why.’
- ‘There are already too many brainless doxies in the world.’
- ‘Indeed, he maintained a clutch of doxies on the second and third floors of his own establishment.’
- ‘He knocked up one women, produced the little girl you see here, and now he's sauntering off to bed another doxy.’
- 1.1A prostitute.
Mid 16th century (originally slang): of unknown origin.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips