1€Euro or euros.
The transcendental number that is the base of Napierian or natural logarithms, approximately equal to 2.71828.
1The fifth letter of the alphabet.
- 1.1Denoting the fifth in a set of items, categories, sizes, etc.
- 1.2The fifth-highest class of academic mark.
- ‘in O level about half of those entered obtained D or E grades’
- 1.3eChess Denoting the fifth file from the left, as viewed from White's side of the board.
- 1.4Denoting the lowest-earning socio-economic category for marketing purposes.
2EA shape like that of a capital E.
- ‘an E-shaped stately home’
The third note of the diatonic scale of C major.
- 3.1A key based on a scale with E as its keynote.
1East or Eastern.
- ‘139° E’
2informal The drug Ecstasy or a tablet of Ecstasy.
- ‘people have died after taking E’
- ‘being busted with three Es can lead to stiff penalties’
3in combination Denoting products, in particular food additives, which comply with EU regulations.See also E-number
- ‘the yellow colouring tartrazine (E 102)’
4in combination (in units of measurement) exa- (10¹⁸).
5Spain (international vehicle registration).
1Electric field strength.
- ‘E = mc²’
- the three Es
Economy, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- ‘the research unit examines the effect of the three Es in the provision of social services’