Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
(of a reaction or process) accompanied by the release of heat.The opposite of endothermic (sense 1)‘Sodium hydroxide dissolved into water is an exothermic process, ammonium nitrate dissolved in water is an endothermic process.’
- ‘The rusting of iron is an exothermic reaction and this process is used in hand warmers which are utilized in cold regions.’
- ‘When fireworks are ignited, the chemical compounds react with each other in an exothermic reaction - releasing energy.’
- ‘For these exothermic processes, the solubility decreases with an increase in temperature.’
- ‘Inside the mold, the liquid undergoes an exothermic chemical reaction, which forms the polyurethane polymer in the mold.’
- 1.1(of a compound) formed from its constituent elements with a net release of heat.
- ‘Little heat is needed in the roasting of sulfide ores because the oxidation of the sulfide ion to sulfur dioxide is exothermic.’
Late 19th century from French exothermique.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips