Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1A rebate for holding a sash window.
- 1.1also fillister planeA rebate plane.‘The rebate would have been cut with a moving or standing fillister and the ovolo cut with a moulding plane that might well have also been used in other more general purpose joinery.’
- ‘Around 1800, edge-cutting astragal and hollow planes appeared, although the rebates were still cut using the sash fillister.’
- ‘In spite of the early appearance of the adjustable fillister, it doesn't appear that they were ever very popular, since to the best of my knowledge, no other early adjustable sash fillisters made by New England planemakers exist.’
- ‘As with the sash fillister, Francis was attempting to provide the trade with a tool that was easier to use without sacrificing accuracy.’
- ‘Joint planes, which accounted for 24 percent of the total, were made up of fourteen different types and included rabbets, standing fillisters, plows and panel planes.’
- ‘It is possible, of course, to cut this rabbet with a conventional fillister.’
- 1.1also fillister planeA rebate plane.
Early 19th century perhaps from French feuilleret.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips