Shining in a bright but brief, sudden, or intermittent way.
- ‘a police car with a flashing light’
1Brief, sudden, and intermittent bursts of bright light.
- ‘he was woken up by the police sirens and the flashing of lights’
2 informal The action, especially of a man, of showing one's genitals briefly in public.
- ‘when arrested and interviewed, he denied flashing’
A strip of metal used to stop water penetrating the junction of a roof with another surface.‘flashings around chimneys’
- ‘the lead flashing on the roof’
- ‘The trapped water may accumulate to levels higher than the roof flashings, resulting in water leaks.’
- ‘Site-built or factory-supplied flashings are used to seal the roofing around the curb.’
- ‘It was also used for roof flashings and weights for scales.’
- ‘Also check eaves, verges and ridges, and make sure that mortar, pointing and lead flashings are all in place around a chimney.’
- ‘The coping, flashings and most of the rendering would need to be removed.’
Late 18th century from the earlier synonym flash(of unknown origin) + -ing.