1An ornamental piece of cloth hanging over the upper part of an altar frontal.
2dated A decorative band or ornament worn on the forehead.‘Let us use my silly hyperbole as frontlets between our eyes.’
- ‘His eagle frontlet is the first aspect of Native culture to greet airline passengers deplaning in Ketchikan.’
- ‘Two of its pointy lobes must have rested on the High Priest's forehead, with the frontlet tied between them.’
- ‘This type of frontlet is worn as a headdress, usually with a trailer of ermine skins.’
- ‘Armlets of gold were upon his arms, and many gold rings on his hands; and a golden torque about his neck, and a golden frontlet holding his hair in place; and his presence august.’
- 2.1another term for phylactery
- 2.2A piece of armour or harness for an animal's forehead.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips