- plural form of fundus
1South African informal An expert in a particular area.
specialist, authority, pundit, oracle, resource person
- ‘a turtle fundi’
- ‘Who knows - it could give birth to computer fundis, right here in Lower Seplan.’
- ‘For art fundis, the NSA Art Gallery will exhibit the artworks of former students who are now working professionally, as a well as present students and community-based artists.’
- ‘Galloway told the court that both brothers were computer fundis and she feared they would tamper with or destroy Internet information needed by the state.’
- ‘The clash at the Orient Theatre two years ago left Funeka so battered, though he won, that some boxing fundis thought he would never box again.’
- ‘Health fundis will be pleased to know that South Africa is finally joining the western world in climbing on to the organic bandwagon.’
- 1.1An enthusiast for a subject or activity.
fan, fanatic, devotee, aficionado, addict, lover, admirer, supporter, follower
- ‘she provides classes for the fitness fundis’
Perhaps originally Rhodesian (Zimbabwean) English, from Nguni umfundi ‘learner’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips