1A small Australian cockatoo with a grey back and rosy pink head and underparts.
Eulophus roseicapillus, family Cacatuidae (or Psittacidae)‘You can attract birds like eastern rosellas, king parrots, galahs and lorikeets to your garden.’
- ‘Because of today's down time with Esmeralda, it will be another day that I write about one of Australia's favourite idiots, the beautiful pink and grey galah.’
- ‘I mean they have problems with galahs and cockatoos so this sort of balances that.’
- ‘The galah is an Australian native parrot noted for low brainpower.’
- ‘But it no longer seems the slightest bit strange in Melbourne's inner suburbs to see sulphur-crested cockatoos and galahs.’
2Australian informal A stupid person.
idiot, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clod
- ‘One of the supporters of keeping Lismore Lake for birds was out collecting signatures for a petition when she swears, a member of the public came up and said ‘You'll keep the birds on the lake if you get rid of the galahs on the Council.’’
- ‘The music industry event Don't Give Up Your Day Job - where music media and record company types make complete galahs of themselves in the name of charity (Malcolm Sargent Cancer Fund For Children) - is back.’
- ‘The Greenies are galahs too.’
- ‘But this particular road in central New South Wales is the home of the nation's slowest galahs.’
- ‘Australia desperately needs a legal system that tries to stop armed robbery and other violent crimes and we'll never get it if the victims are always penalised by some galah with a wig on his head.’
- as mad as a gum tree full of galahs
(of a person) completely mad or irrational; crazy.
- ‘you're as mad as a gum tree full of galahs, sliding down that hill!’
- ‘When they find out who hasn't turned up to play, they'll be as mad as a gum tree full of galahs.’
- ‘"She's as mad as a gum tree full of galahs," he wrote of Mandy.’
- ‘You're as mad as a gum tree full of galahs. Good luck and try and enjoy it.’
- ‘I reckon we all pretty much agree that Chris is as mad as a gum tree full of galahs but we need the people like Chris of this world.’
- ‘"Mad as a gum tree full of galahs," he stormed. "Why don't they pay cash?!"’
Behave in an incompetent or inappropriate way that makes one appear foolish.
- ‘I'm always making a galah of myself’
- ‘Music media and record company types make complete galahs of themselves in the name of charity.’
- ‘You're not making a galah of me, are you?’
- ‘Members are aware how difficult it is for anyone to rise in his place here and make a speech without a fair amount of preparation, that is, unless he is going to make a galah of himself.’
- ‘I'd made a complete galah of myself, but not in front of 1.5 million people.’
- ‘He made a complete galah of himself whenever he appeared in public with his striped trousers, tails and top hat.’
Mid 19th century from Yuwaalaraay (an Aboriginal language of New South Wales).