A small Eurasian duck, the male of which has a dark brown head with a white stripe from the eye to the neck.
Anas querquedula, family Anatidae‘For every obvious crossbill, razorbill, greenfinch, woodpecker, warbler, treecreeper, swift or flycatcher there is a mysterious wigeon, garganey, gadwall, bittern, siskin, pipit, shrike or twite.’
- ‘On the other hand, it could be something rare like a garganey, falcated teal or an emperor goose.’
- ‘Bird species like garganey, gadwall, mallard, shoveller, pintail and wigeon use the lake in transit.’
- ‘At Vedanthangal one can sight glossy and white ibis, painted storks, grey pelicans, shovellors, garganey, whistling teals, Indian moorhen and dabchicks, says K. Murugan, who briefs visitors on the bird species.’
- ‘A good number of duck species such as dabchicks, garganey, pin-tailed, lesser whistling teal and shovellers arrive at the Appalangulam tank located inside the Guindy National Park.’
- ‘But finding the garganey is for Fabian ‘luck like no other I had ever had, or have had since.’’
Mid 17th century from Italian dialect garganei, of imitative origin.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips