Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A Kabbalistic method of interpreting the Hebrew scriptures by computing the numerical value of words, based on the values of their constituent letters.
- ‘Another important aspect in gematria are the numerical values of letters: A = 1, B = 2…’
- ‘He does say that there was special significance in the number 18, since in gematria (an important method of divination among Jews at one time), this was the number equivalent of the word life.’
- ‘A rundown of the Hebrew gematria can be found here.’
- ‘Jewish gematria is an old and well respected magickal tradition, and of course Hebrew letters are equivalent to numbers in the first place, so that's not so controversial.’
- ‘I've been looking for someone who can help with my gematria!’
Mid 17th century from Aramaic gīmaṭrĕyā, from Greek gēometria (see geometry).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips