Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
Used to express surprise or delight.
- ‘Golly! Is that the time?’
- ‘I think we're doing it but, by golly, you don't do that in six years.’
- ‘And by golly, all weekend long and for nearly the entirety of the coming week, we'll be basking underneath blue skies and 68-degree weather.’
- ‘But by golly, if you believe it, that's good enough for me.’
- ‘But by golly, I am not old enough to start shaving my chin, yet.’
- ‘Nevertheless, we had arrived in Paradise and by golly, was I excited.’
Late 18th century euphemism for God.
nounplural noun golliesinformal British
short for golliwog
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips