An organ that produces gametes; a testis or ovary.‘It is known as a gonadotrophic hormone as it affects the gonads (testes and ovaries) in mammals.’
- ‘Whether the gonads become ovaries or testes is determined by the chromosomes received from the parents at the time of conception.’
- ‘To compensate, internal organs such as the gizzard, gonads, and intestine may shrink.’
- ‘Fish were scored as intersexes when at least one of the gonads was an ovotestis or when one ovary and one testis were observed simultaneously.’
- ‘As adults they lack appendages, segmentation, and all internal organs except gonads and the remains of the nervous system.’
- 1.1gonads vulgar slang A man's testicles or genitals.
Late 19th century from modern Latin gonades, plural of gonas, from Greek gonē ‘generation, seed’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips