Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A gas that contributes to the greenhouse effect by absorbing infrared radiation. Carbon dioxide and chlorofluorocarbons are examples of greenhouse gases.
- ‘It is virtually certain that increasing atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases will cause global surface climate to be warmer.’
- ‘Although an excess of greenhouse gas results in global warming, naturally occurring greenhouse gases are beneficial in keeping our planet at a comfortable temperature.’
- ‘Higher concentrations of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere will lead to increased trapping of infrared radiation.’
- ‘The Kyoto Protocol sets limits for emissions of six greenhouse gases for the richer countries of the world which have ratified it.’
- ‘Methane is also a greenhouse gas, meaning that its presence in the atmosphere affects the Earth's temperature and climate system.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips