1(in measuring the height of horses) hand(s)
- ‘pinto pony gelding—quiet, 13.3 h, great with kids’
2in combination (in units of measurement) hecto-
- ‘wine production reached 624,000 hl last year’
3British (with reference to sporting fixtures) home.
- ‘September 14 Bradford City (h)’
5(especially with reference to water) hot.
- ‘nine rooms, all with h & c’
- ‘breakfast at 0700 h’
2Planck's constant divided by 2π.
1The eighth letter of the alphabet.
- 1.1Denoting the next after G in a set of items, categories, etc.
- 1.2hChess Denoting the file on the right-hand edge of the board, as viewed from White's side.
2A shape like that of a capital H.
- ‘a widened H-strap for lateral support’
(in the German system) the note B natural.
1Hard (used in describing grades of pencil lead)
- ‘a 2H pencil’
2Height (in giving the dimensions of an object)
- ‘H 195 cm by W 107 cm by D 52 cm’
- ‘‘Tell me it's not heroin.’ ‘It's not H’’
5Hungary (international vehicle registration).
6British (on signs in the street) hydrant.
2The chemical element hydrogen.
Magnetic field strength.