nouninformal, derogatory Scottish, Northern Irish
A worthless or contemptible person.
- ‘I've never seen a worse-looking bunch of hallions’
- ‘I'm sick sore and tired of the hallions slagging us off.’
- ‘Social media does provide a ready forum for the hashtag hallion sniping away from the coward's comfort of anonymity.’
- ‘His update on big the transfer dealings has been rudely interrupted by a hallion in sunglasses and a black hoody.’
- ‘I've never seen a worse-looking bunch of hallions marching anywhere in my life.’
- ‘Fans enjoying a sup were unaware they were in the company of the two hallions they'd witnessed on stage earlier.’
Late 18th century origin uncertain.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips