Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A plant of a genus that comprises the day lilies.
Genus Hemerocallis, family Liliaceae
- ‘In summer, traditional perennials take over, and peonies, irises and hemerocallis fill the flowery brook.’
- ‘Perennials such as iris or hemerocallis will show a noted decrease in blooms over the years if they are not divided.’
- ‘Geraniums, phloxes, eupatoriums and hemerocallis are split less often - perhaps every three to four years.’
- ‘Sitting under a rose and clematis arbour in one area, you see through a lunette in a pyracantha hedge to a pond, encircled by lavender, heleniums, hemerocallis, gaillardias and calamintha.’
- ‘Dark plums marry with purple sedum and rich pink hemerocallis along one border.’
Modern Latin, from Greek hēmerokallis ‘a lily that flowers for a day’, from hēmera ‘day’ + kallos ‘beauty’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips