The elongated ridges on the floor of each lateral ventricle of the brain, thought to be the centre of emotion, memory, and the autonomic nervous system.
- ‘We performed region of interest analysis in two focal brain areas: the hippocampus and the temporal lobes.’
- ‘Added estrogen also upped the signaling capacity of nerve cells in the hippocampus, the brain's memory region.’
- ‘In five hours, the neurosurgeons removed the remaining tumour, my right hippocampus, and right temporal lobe.’
- ‘The hippocampus area in the frontal lobes, the sort of parietal temporal lobes and the frontal lobes.’
- ‘Estrogen appears to enhance memory by increasing the number of synapses between nerve cells in the hippocampus.’
Late16th century (denoting a sea horse): via Latin from Greek hippokampos, from hippos ‘horse’ + kampos ‘sea monster’.