Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Any of a group of basic proteins found in chromatin.
- ‘Indeed, chromatin is known to be rich not only in histones but also HMG proteins, which may play a role in this charge shielding.’
- ‘Both nonhistone proteins and histones form complexes with TP.’
- ‘People solve this packing problem by tightly wrapping their DNA around proteins called histones.’
- ‘This small protein replaces histones and binds DNA in the process of spermatogenesis.’
- ‘One trick is to tightly wind the DNA around complexes of proteins called histones, much as thread is coiled around a spool.’
Late 19th century coined in German, perhaps from Greek histanai ‘arrest’ or from histos ‘web, tissue’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips