Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Give one's opponent an illegal low blow.
- ‘The bout turned nasty in the fourth, when Johnson - for the second time in the fight - hit Ruiz below the belt with a hard left hook.’
- ‘He described Dube as a ‘dirty’ boxer who was always hitting him below the belt and throwing punches after the bell.’
- ‘Then Machimane hit Nel below the belt and the fight was temporarily stopped to give the champion time to recover.’
- 1.1Behave unfairly to someone, especially so as to gain an unfair advantage.
- ‘If all of them are forced to pay royalty for every song they sing, they will be hit below the belt.’
- ‘‘Pattni appears to have hit Kenya below the belt at a time when the country was at its weakest,’ wrote the East African Standard.’
- ‘Carly is hurt by the comment and it hits her below the belt.’
- ‘To top it all off, Walter's sudden fierceness hit her below the belt, and her legs suddenly went wobbly with desire.’
- ‘‘The department is hitting us below the belt,’ said Mbilini.’
- ‘First you hit them below the belt by making it harder for them to get elected.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips