Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
‘So today, play by the rules and live your life according to Hoyle.’
- ‘The Ethics Commission, you'll recall, is the 10-year-old agency that decides whether the activities - particularly those involving campaign money - of the city's 18 elected officials are played according to Hoyle.’
- ‘Appoint some FBI lady to make sure things are done according to Hoyle.’
- ‘Let's see if that boy has got shooting down according to Hoyle.’
- ‘If all had gone according to Hoyle, as you say, your client would have gone by now.’
- according to Hoyle
According to plan or the rules.
- ‘legally you can argue that it's all according to Hoyle’
Early 20th century from the name of Edmond Hoyle (1672–1769), English writer on card games.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips