nounplural noun Iban
1A member of an indigenous people of Kalimantan and Sarawak.Also called Sea Dayak‘Some of the tribes that reside in Sarawak, Malaysia are the Iban, Orang Ulu, and Bidayuh.’
- ‘He's been to visit the Iban so many times that when he visits he is treated like an old friend.’
- ‘The Iban, a tribe of friendly headhunters, inhabits the area.’
2mass noun The Austronesian language of the Iban, spoken by around 380,000 people.
Relating to the Iban or their language.‘It will also carry the information: ‘This is the translation of the Bible in the Iban language'.’
- ‘Jenkin's film is a period piece, the story of an Iban servant girl who falls in love with a young Englishman in British-ruled Borneo.’
- ‘It's the natives of Borneo - in particular the former head hunting Iban tribe - that have captured Keith's heart.’
- ‘In the second case, a young woman preparing for her wedding accepted a cigarette from her visiting Iban sister-in-law.’
- ‘Bisaya, Iban, and Penan people also live in Sarawak, and Dusun and Murut people in both Sarawak and Sabah.’
The name in Iban.
International Bank Account Number.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips