The Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. The first intifada lasted from 1987 to 1993, and the second began in 2000.‘Over 350 people have died since the beginning of the intifada, or Palestinian uprising, three months ago.’
- ‘The Palestinian intifada, or uprising, broke out two years ago this Saturday.’
- ‘This is the source of the intifada, the uprising of Palestinian youth and workers against the Israeli regime.’
- ‘He lost his foot during a helicopter attack in the early days of the intifada, or uprising.’
- ‘It was given an impetus by the first Palestinian intifada, or uprising, which started in 1987.’
- ‘There has been a three year long intifada, or uprising, against Israeli occupation.’
- ‘He was in command of the Israeli army on the West Bank when the first Palestinian uprising or intifada began in 1987.’
Arabic intifāḍa ‘an uprising’ (literally ‘a jumping up as a reaction to something’), from intifaḍa ‘be shaken, shake oneself’.