Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
exclamationinformal US ixnay on/to
Used in rejecting something specified.
- ‘ixnay to corporate control!’
- ‘Well, the couple is fighting back saying ixnay on those rumors.’
- ‘I just want to 2nd the ixnay on cutesy text messages… uh… and baking cookies together.’
verb[with object]informal US
Cancel or stop.
- ‘the group has ixnayed the rest of its North American tour’
- ‘The execs ixnayed the female first mate from the pilot, and he basically smuggled Nichelle Nicholls in under his coat, only mentioning offhand he was ‘going to add a little colour’ to the bridge crew.’
- ‘Though President Bush ixnayed that idea, Wilkinson is still optimistic.’
- ‘Yeah, i ixnayed the home-made dough and substituted a 2-pack of prepackaged stuff... pretty decent so far.’
- ‘I ixnayed all the pesticides like perm and BB. Haven't touched them in months. Went organic and it worked in about 17 days. I am not anemic anymore and I am starting to feel pretty good.’
1920s pig Latin for nix.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips