Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A coarse dark brown sugar made in India by evaporation of the sap of palm trees.
- ‘Add the tomato purée, jaggery, chilli and garam masala powders and water if required.’
- ‘Chilled banana cream with jaggery Jaggery, which is fermented palm sugar, is fabulous stuff.’
- ‘When jaggery is dissolved, add lime juice and pears.’
- ‘Some 70 lakh children were being fed with ghoogri, a cooked meal of wheat and jaggery.’
- ‘This ‘coffee’ is sweetened with ‘karippatti’ or jaggery as sugar is anathema to the champions of natural eating.’
Late 16th century from Portuguese xagara, jag(a)ra, from Malayalam cakkarā, from Sanskrit śarkarā ‘sugar’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips