Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The chemical element of atomic number 36, a member of the noble gas series. It is obtained by distillation of liquid air, and is used in some kinds of electric light.
- ‘Consider windows that fill that space with gases like argon, krypton, or a mix of the two.’
- ‘However, some windows use argon or krypton in this space to improve thermal performance.’
- ‘Sometimes a mixture of krypton and argon are used instead of the mercury.’
- ‘Other gasses - such as argon and krypton - can be used in the space between the glass panes instead of air.’
- ‘They attributed those lines to the presence of three new elements, which they named neon, krypton, and xenon.’
Late 19th century from Greek krupton, neuter of kruptos ‘hidden’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips