Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A destructive mudflow on the slopes of a volcano.
- ‘Some volcanic eruptions generate dangerous lahars (mud flows of volcanic ash mixed with water) that travel far beyond the volcano.’
- ‘Continued growth increases the risk of partial dome collapse, which could trigger moderate explosions and possibly significant lahars (volcanic mudflows) from the crater.’
- ‘Major valleys cutting the volcano's flanks have been partly or completely filled in by pyroclastic flow deposits and lahars.’
- ‘Two bridges connect the town to the other side. The residents have only minutes to get across those bridges to escape potential lava flows, lahars, and mudslides.’
- ‘Mudflows (also called debris flows or lahars, an Indonesian term for volcanic mudflows) are mixtures of volcanic debris and water.’
1920s from Javanese.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips