A plant of a genus that includes the tree mallow.
Genus Lavatera, family Malvaceae‘These and plants such as lavatera, buddleia and cistus are generally not worth moving unless they have been in the ground for two or three years.’
- ‘Forsythia and winter jasmine are also fast growers and so, as they finish flowering can be cut back, although not as hard as the lavatera.’
- ‘Not his mother - she was lifting flags in the garden preparing the ground for lavatera, hibiscus and a camomile path.’
- ‘Suited to all zones, lavatera flowers from mid-July till hard frost in moist, fertile soil.’
- ‘Orange lion's tail and yellow Jerusalem sage vie for attention with pink lavatera and blue Cleveland sage in flower-filled beds.’
- ‘To add color to a mostly herbal garden, rely on a few shrubs that bloom nearly year-round, such as lavatera and groundcover roses.’
Modern Latin, named after the brothers Lavater, 17th- and 18th-century Swiss naturalists.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips