1Not so great or important as the other or the rest.‘he was convicted of a lesser assault charge’
less important, minor, secondary, subsidiary, marginal, ancillary, auxiliary, supplementary, supplemental, peripheralView synonyms
- ‘they nest mostly in Alaska and to a lesser extent in Siberia’
- 1.1Lower in rank or quality.‘you're looking down your nose at us lesser mortals’
subordinate, minor, inferior, second-class, subservient, lowly, humble, servile, menial, meanView synonyms
- ‘Perhaps lesser mortals in this field should wait for the hearings?’
- ‘He showed no signs of jet lag, again something lesser mortals complain of.’
- ‘Instead, it's how they deal with the stuff that would sink a far lesser talent.’
- 1.2Used in names of animals and plants which are smaller than similar kinds, e.g. lesser spotted woodpecker, lesser celandine.
- the lesser evil
The less harmful or unpleasant of two bad choices or possibilities.
- ‘authoritarianism may seem a lesser evil than abject poverty’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips