1Grant a licence to.‘a pub has to be licensed by the local justices’
- ‘he ought not to have been licensed to fly a plane’
- 1.1Authorize the use, performance, or release of (something)
- ‘the company expect that the drug will soon be licensed for use in the USA’
- 1.2dated Permit (someone) to do something.
- ‘he was licensed to do no more than send a message’
Late Middle English from licence. The spelling -se arose by analogy with pairs such as practice, practise.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips